Thursday, March 7, 2013

Crazy? Definitely. But Inspirational...

When I talk to people about the changes I’ve made in my lifestyle, about my workout regimen, and running OCRs most of the responses are the same...

“That’s crazy!”

“You really are insane.”

“You’re absolutely nuts!”

As of late, however, I seem to be getting some different responses...

“What you do is inspiring.”

“Keep it up. You’re a great inspiration.”

And my personal favorite, “When’s your next workout? I want to come.”

Me...an inspiration? That’s impossible. There has to be some kind of mistake.

When I look back on my life, there is nothing that could possibly be inspirational to others. In fact, it’s more of a “what not to do” guide to life. I see a train wreck of poor choices. From bad relationships to ill-advised career moves, there is not much I can think back on without cringing. It’s for that very reason I try to keep my focus forward and avoid the past entirely.

Okay, maybe avoid isn’t the best word because I have come to terms with my past. It is what it is. I refuse to regret the path that got me to where I am in this moment and helped set me on my  course toward the future. Still, I’d rather be in the present and looking ahead than discussing and analyzing the past. So before I go off on a psychoanalytic tangent, let me get back to the point...

People see me as an inspiration and I'm feeling a bit like Spiderman. Not in a tingling spidey-sense way, but in a "with great power comes great responsibility" way.

Almost two years ago I made the decision to get fit. I didn’t do it to impress anyone. I wasn’t trying to compete with others. And I certainly wasn’t looking for praise. I did it for me and it was the first purely selfish decision I’d made since becoming a mother. I needed to feel strong again, mentally and physically. I was ready to put in the effort. If that meant selfishly taking time out of my day for me, so be it.

You know what happened...it worked. Not overnight. Not within weeks. In fact, it is ongoing process to this day. But, as the months passed, I could see and feel the difference. It pushed me to challenge myself, to work harder, to fuel my body to perform, and it gave me confidence. What it didn’t prepare me for was being a source of inspiration to others.

Yes, when I started down this path I hoped that I could serve as a good example for my children. I want them to grow up understanding the importance of a healthy, active lifestyle and seeing that living such a life means fun and adventure, not being on a diet or trying to keep up with the latest exercise fad. But, being a role model to your kids is very different than having others view as a source of inspiration.

I inspire you? Me? Really?

‘Wow,’ was my first thought followed quickly by an overwhelming sense of pride. I had never experienced anything like that before. I was inspiring people to challenge themselves and to make positive changes in their lives. It was wonderful and a bit scary all at the same time.

The wonderful part is that people I care about are bettering their lives. I have workout dates with friends, running partners, group workouts outside the gym, and more and more people I know are signing up for races. It's exciting and fun and has in turn helped keep me motivated. I’m pretty good about dragging my butt out of bed at 4:30 a.m., but on those few mornings I'm tempted to crawl back under the covers it helps to know that someone may be waiting for me. No slacking, no excuses.

But then there is the scary part...the responsibility. What exactly do people expect of me? Will they be disappointed if they don't find the satisfaction or success they hoped for? It's taken half a lifetime for me to realize that I can't live my life based on the expectations of others, so how do I handle this new role I find myself in?

What I have to remember is that it's their journey, not mine. And success will only come if they are ready, like I was. All I can do is offer my support.

Need a workout partner?  Call me.
Want to go for a run? I'm there.

Need someone to talk you out of eating that donut? I'm your girl.

Nothing would make me more proud than to be your inspiration, but I can't be responsible for your success. Only you can change your life. And you can do it. I know because I did.  

3 comments:

  1. I like that line, "Only you can change your life." I have to keep repeating that.

    And for the record, you definitely inspire *me* :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote you a really good and way too long comment, but the internet seems to've eaten it.

    Suffice to say, while I do think some of what you're doing is crazy (mostly because I'm jealous that my heart and other heath problems limit my ability to do much more'n walk briskly for fitness--to the extent I even do that), I've found your attitude about things (things you've tried that've worked out, and perhaps even moreso things you've tried that haven't) to be kind of inspirational. So there's that...

    (I said it -- and more -- so much better the first time, but i just lack the patience to try to recreate it again. But then, maybe shorter and simpler is better... Yeah, that's what I'm going with... Done and pleased.) ((and copied this time, in case it happens again.))

    ReplyDelete
  3. you ARE an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete